Your swimming pool water needs to be filtered to remove jam-causing debris and to ensure it remains hygienic. The best pool pump task is to take the water to the filter.
From there, this water moves toward the heater and then to the chlorinator before it returns to your pool via the return system. There are different types of pumps, like single-, double-, and variable-speed models.
Therefore, it can be a tall order to know which pump to settle for, and this is where we come in handy. We have a complete guide that will help you to answer the question of, “what’s the best pool pump to buy on the market?
Editors Pick and Reviews of Top 10 Pool Pumps for 2019
Our editors chose the top pool pumps, and here is their comprehensive review.
1. Hayward W3SP2600X5 Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B07SR4MLMB” imgid=”81LNhWhkO8L”]
The Hayward W3SP2600X5 is recognized for its effective performance and reliability thanks to the industry’s workhorse. It also features swing-away hand knobs that let you remove the strainer cover with ease.
That means you don’t need any tool to access the pump, and there are no clamps or loose parts. Moreover, the strainer cover is transparent to enable you to see the basket and know when to clean it.
There is no guesswork when it comes to using this pump. Also, there is an oversized debris basket that holds more and bigger leaves compared to other baskets.
The basket is large enough to enable the pump to continue working without needing regular maintenance. You will also find it easy to install the pump due to its 4-bolt access that lets you see all the internal components.
- Comes in a compact design
- Motor is effective
- Transparent lid
- Hose power of 0.5
2. Hayward W3SP1580 Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B07SS494Q2″ imgid=”61nKP3f9TAL”]
Hayward W3SP1580 is another pump that has made it on our list because of its many excellent features. The model comes with a 1 HP hose that is sufficient to pump the water around with ease.
It is also one of the easiest to install units on the market today as it doesn’t come with many complicated parts. You don’t need a professional to get it in place or even have a lot of tools to do that.
One great thing is that it comes when sand filter ready to make it possible to start working as soon as you get it in place. The model features a 3-prong 110v cord that you can attach to standard power sources.
Another thing that makes it an excellent unit is the high-performance impeller that pumps the water around with ease. It is also a durable model that can give you years of service.
- Effective impeller
- Last for a long time
- Easy to install
- Lots of vibration
3. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B000UXPFMU” imgid=”511IJTOcpIL”]
Pentair is known for providing high-quality pool products like the 340039 SuperFlow Pool Pump. It is a single-speed pump that comes with a reliable 1.5 HP for pumping the water around effectively.
Despite the powerful HP, the model does use a lot of power, meaning that its cost of operation is low. Its working is pretty fast due to the superior internal flow design, which minimizes the hydraulic noise.
It is easy to maintain as you only need to clean the pump strainer pot if the pump strainer gasket gets clogged. The model comes with a thick-walled body that ensures it resists knocks to last for years.
Its hydraulics is highly engineered, and there is a heavy-duty 56 sq. flange motor. The oversized strainer basket ensures that you take a while before you can need to clean the pump.
There is also a see-via lid that makes it possible to inspect the system.
- Easy start-up
- Has a 12-month warranty
- Oversized strainer basket
- Gets clogged regularly
4. XtremepowerUS 2HP Inground Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B01AAWQRUY” imgid=”61yhIFoi0CL”]
Xtremepower US Inground Pool Pump is an ideal model that offers value for the money. It is a powerful unit with air ventilation to allow the machine to cool down and operate quietly.
The device also has an extra-large debris basket that ensures you maintain your pool once after a long time. That means you get time to swim more and do less of maintenance work.
Another great feature is the clear cover that enables you to see what is inside the basket and when to clean it. There are two union connectors that let you connect the discharge and suction ports without any hassle.
And it is a versatile model that you can use with spas, hot tubs, and swimming pools. It is also straightforward to install the model – you don’t need to seek professional help to get it in place.
- Offers value for the money
- Quiet operation
- A see-through cover
- Slightly heavy
5. Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B000786GKS” imgid=”51nskl9wiRL”]
Zodiac PB4-60 is an ultra-high efficiency machine that comes with a ¾ HP motor that makes it possible to circulate the water around. It boasts of a heavy-duty single-piece base that is compact and durable enough to ensure that your pump lasts for years.
There are also nut fasteners that hold the backplate in place, meaning that there are no loose ends. You can be confident that you have a pump that will continue to work at high speed without breaking down.
Another feature is the ergonomic drain plus that has an o-ring to prevent any leak. Besides, the model also comes with a larger volute seal o-ring that also helps to keep the unit sealed.
It can efficiently pump the water around to assure completed cleaning within hours.
- Comes in a compact design
- Sealed completely
- Durable construction
- Requires constant maintenance
6. WAYNE 57729-WYNP WAPC250 Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B008PPPRUK” imgid=”81nVEIqlETL”]
WAYNE 57729 is a great model that is durable and reliable. It comes from a reputable brand that has been in the industry for years.
The unit comes with a ¼ HP that moves the water around without any hassle, and it can work for various pools. One unique feature is the protection circuit that ensures the motor remains sealed from the weather.
Also, the machine shuts off if it detects any problem with the impeller such as overheating. That means you can always be confident that your pump will last for years without getting damaged.
You can also set how the pump will transport the water around, such as using 12-hours intervals. It is also easy to install the unit and also maintain it.
- 3-year warranty
- Easy to handle
- Removes over 3000 gallons per hour
- A bit costly
7. Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5HP Above Ground Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B01BSV5N9M” imgid=”714NASDRd6L”]
For above ground pool, the Harris H1572730 comes with a 1.5HP motor that makes it possible to move water around with ease. It also features a reinforced thermoplastic body that adds to its long life to last for years.
Another feature is the advanced engineering that ensures the model produces the least noise possible while being highly efficient. One thing that you might like about this unit is to hear that it meets all ETL and CSA requirements.
You can easily attach it to a 3-plong plug, and it has a 3-foot cord. The model was made for your above ground pool that requires maintenance.
- ETL and CSA certified
- Comes at a reasonable price
- Has a long cord
- Uses a lot of power
8. Blue Wave NE6151B Maxi Above Ground Pool[su_beksbackyard asin=”B00B4ZNKO8″ imgid=”71s9GhGBiDL”]
The Blue Wave NE6151B comes with a strong 1 HP motor that is sufficient to pump the water around without using a lot of power. It is made of long-lasting polymer body that resists corrosion, making it the right model for salt water pools.
Its transparent lid lets you see the basket to know when it is time to clean it, and it has a self-priming pump. The model comes with a dual-port design that lets you connect it horizontally or vertically to fit most filter systems.
It also has a long cord of 6-foot and connects to a 110v power source. You can easily connect and install it by following the easy-to-follow instruction that comes in the package.
- Resists corrosion
- See-through lid
- Dual-port connection
- A bit tricky to install
9. Hayward W3SP3202VSP Pool Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B07SPM1JM7″ imgid=”71dl-owqrKL”]
Hayward W3SP3202VSP was made to replace most high-performance pumps of between 1.5-2.0 HP. The model comes with a 1.85HP motor that enables the water to move around without any problem.
Its fan is closed to ensure that there is minimal power loss when the machine is operating. And it is made to fit medium to large swimming pools that require a device that works hard.
What more, you can program the unit to suit your cleaning needs, and there is a digital control interface. It provides speeds of between 600-3450 RPM.
- Variable speed
- Easy to program
- Strong hose power
- Quite expensive
10. Waterway Plastics 3721621-1D 4HP Spa Pump[su_beksbackyard asin=”B004VTH8R4″ imgid=”61lGO–z0rL”]
With a 4HP motor and the ability to move 160 gallons of water per minute, this model is ideal for 20000 gallon pool. It boasts of a highly versatile wet end that you can easily rotate up to 90-degree.
The model also boasts of a 56-frame motor that adds to its strength and ensures that their engine lasts long. That body also ensures that the machine operates at cool temperatures to avoid overheating.
As an easy-to-install model, you don’t need to seek help from an expert when putting it in place. That means you save money and time – more time for swimming.
- Potent motor
- A durable model
- Saves you money and time
- Vibrates a lot
Top Tips for Choosing a Pool Pump
How do you choose the right pool pump for your facility, and what are the critical features to look for? The guide below has every answer to these two and other questions.
- Measure your swimming pool – First, measure the width, depth, and length of your pool (convert into feet). That means measuring the depth of the water and not what your pool can hold.
- Determine the surface area – Multiply the width and length of the measurements above.
- Computer the gallons of water in your pool – Use Length x Width x Average Depth x 7.5 to get the gallons of a rectangular pool. You can also use online pool calculators.
- Determine the minimum water flow rate – Divide the gallons you got by eight and then by 60.
- Determine the maximum water flow rate – Measure the size of the pipes (2-inch takes 73 gallons per minute, 3-inch takes 150 gallons per minute, and 5-inch takes 450 gallons per minute).
- Get a pool pump with a similar flow rate of maximum and minimum.
The above steps can help you to know the pump that can handle the water in your pool. Now it is time to look at the features you should consider:
- Large filter – Large filters will ensure that you maintain your pump after a long time. Make sure that the unit you choose works for your pool.
- Types of pools – Some pumps are for inground pools while others are for above-ground models. An above-ground model has an intake above the ground while the inground one has on the side.
- Plug-in or hard-wired – You can choose either option.
- Horse Power (HP) – Pick a model that fits with your swimming pool. Of important, the pump should circulate the water with ease.
We have reviewed the best pool pump models that you can get on the market today. Also, we have looked at a buying guide to help you choose a device that can suit your needs.
No matter what you choose, we are confident that the brand you want will work for you. Also, note that these models come in variable speeds that can affect how they circulate the water.
We hope that you have gained a lot from our article and you are ready to hit the market to choose your ideal pool pump. Head out and get your facility that one critical machine.